If you've ever looked at a bottle of skincare products and wondered what pH level means, this article is for you. I'll explain what pH balance is, why it's so important in your skincare routine, and how to maintain proper levels in your skin so that you can have healthier skin that looks amazing every day!
What Is pH Balance
pH stands for "potential hydrogen," and it's a measure of how acidic or alkaline something is. On the pH scale, 0 is highly acidic (think battery acid); 14 is highly alkaline (think lye or drain cleaner). The neutral point lies at 7.
The lower your skin's pH level, the more acidic your skin and vice versa. You want to keep your skin around a 5-6 range because this means it's slightly acidic; this helps prevent breakouts by keeping bacteria at bay while also balancing out other factors like dehydration and oil production in your pores.
Why Is pH Balance So Important
You might be wondering why pH balance is so important. We'll break it down for you in this section.
- pH balance is important for healthy skin. Your skin needs to maintain a certain pH level to stay healthy and fight off bacteria that can cause acne, irritation, aging and sun damage.
- Maintaining a proper pH balance helps prevent acne by keeping the skin's natural oils balanced so they don't clog pores or cause inflammation of the follicle walls (the opening at the end of each pore). If these things happen too much or too often then you're likely going to get breakouts on your face!
How Can You Maintain Proper pH Levels In Your Skin
- Use a pH balanced cleanser. A cleanser that is too acidic or alkaline can disrupt the skin's natural flora, which can lead to irritation and redness.
- Use a pH balanced toner. After cleansing, applying toner will help restore your skin's pH balance while also removing excess dirt and makeup left behind by your cleanser (which may have been too harsh).
- Apply moisturizer with SPF daily and reapply often if you're outdoors or swimming in water! You want to make sure that this protection is always there for you, so take advantage of its effects by using it every day without fail!.
Maintaining a healthy pH level in your skin can be the difference between having a clear, radiant complexion and dealing with acne and other skin issues. By using products that are pH balanced, you can help to prevent damage to the natural acid mantle of your skin.
When it comes to skincare products such as cleansers, toners and exfoliators (to name just a few), there are two main types: those that have been formulated with ingredients that are too high or too low on the pH scale. Products with a higher than normal pH level tend to be alkaline-based; this means they're more likely to irritate sensitive areas like around the eyes or mouth area where there's less barrier protection from external factors like windburns from winter weather conditions outside during outdoor activities such as skiing/snowboarding off season travel plans. On the other hand, if you choose something acidic instead then this could cause irritation on its own because our bodies naturally try not mix these two opposing ingredients together due their chemical makeup difference being incompatible at times.
Maintaining a healthy pH level in your skin can be the difference between having a clear, radiant complexion and dealing with acne and other skin issues. The best way to keep your skin looking its best is by using products that have been formulated with ingredients that are compatible with its natural pH level. If you're concerned about finding these types of products or need advice on how to care for your skin on a daily basis, we recommend visiting an esthetician who specializes in helping people achieve optimal health through skincare treatments such as facials and microdermabrasion sessions.